Search This Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Culture Shock

I was born in a small town in Ukraine during the time of the Soviet Union. As a jewish family, my family was always persecuted and left as soon as the regime fell and we were able to get to America. I observe American culture all around me, even with my immediate family. But when I visit grandparents or have a big family dinner, I see the differences from the typical New York City household. First of all, drinking is a must, whether man woman or child over 15, you must drink and say cheers. This is a very important part of our gettogethers, with toast's said regularly. Otherwise we play with children, eat cold food and salads before hot and we watch T.V. somewhat. Perhaps the foods are different, more bland, although I myself would never eat them as compared to the sushi or burgers I adore. The culture of America is hard to divine, its so mixed with other cultures that I cannot even say what is usual or unusual, however, my household and extended family makes up one part of the vast cultural richness of the United States.

2 comments:

  1. That is funny that you say drinking is a must whether man woman or child over 15 years old. I guess people under 21 in the USA are not as gifted as those in Europe right?...To be honest I love when my family gets together because of all the food that gets put on the table. For some reason I can tell you as well look forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been interested in the soviet union, and to what it would be like to live in a communist country at that time of course. It takes a lot of a person to admit their past like that and I give you my blessings. We americans take our freedoms for granted and we don't realize what it was like for other cultures in different countries. I liked your entry good job! Plus drinking age at 15 would probably be a bad choice in the US since it isnt part of our tradition as it is in yours. LOL I could never imagine drinking at 15 legally at least ;)

    ReplyDelete